If you are travelling with children or would like to do more than just appreciate Burgau’s peaceful atmosphere and scenery, then here are a few great ideas. It is worth checking with Miguel or Zezinha for any information on organised excursions, as these are subject to occasional change.
We have a selection of ‘must haves’ to make holidaying with little ones even more enjoyable (and less stressful). These are available on a first come first served basis. Some items are chargeable.
- Stair gates
In our experience, children are welcome in all restaurants, although it’s advisable to book ahead to ensure you can get a highchair. Sunshades can be hired on the beaches and our pool has plenty of sun umbrellas.
Older children and adults
- Boat trips around the grottos.
- The Algarve has become famous for Golf. There are two clubs within 10 minutes of Burgau – Parque Da Floresta and Boavista. The next is Palmares which is 25 minutes away. See our Golf page for more info.
- Burgau Sports Club offers tennis, squash, table tennis, a swimming pool and a children’s playground. They also offer physiotherapy and massage (need to book in advance) as well as a range of organised activities e.g. Children’s activity mornings, Adults activity sessions include hockey, football, tennis and squash tournaments etc.
- Water parks Slide Splash, Aqualand (pictured at the top of this page) and Zoomarine
- Tennis/Squash coaching is also available. Andy (ex-Wasps Rugby Club captain!) and Sam Robinson run the club which is a 10 minute walk from the centre of Burgau.
- There are a number of beautiful walking trails both along the coast and further in land. Most of the inland options are within the national park (which Burgau sits in and stretches all the way to the west coast).
- In the next town (Praia da Luz), a water sports club (look out for a sign saying Chico) offers water skiing, doughnuts, sailing etc. Chico and his wife Sarah run the place.
- A number of surf schools in the area offer surfing lessons and equipment hire, one of them is in Burgau right outside the Verando do Burgua (Veranda Bar). Burgau beach has a lifeguard on duty during the day
- Tiffany’s horse riding club is a five minute drive away and offers lessons and treks through some of the most beautiful Algarvian hill scenery.
- Henry the Navigator’s Navigation School is located at Cape St Vincent. This offers the visitor the opportunity to visit Europe’s most South Westerly point as well as to explore the fort and enjoy the views – definitely recommended! It is about a 25 minute drive from Burgau.
- Exploring local towns and markets can be fascinating. There are also a number of beaches & potteries which are well worth visiting (see sections on “Markets & Supermarkets” and “Beaches“).
- Lagos at night – as well as the fabulous restaurants and street markets, there are fantastic street entertainers. It is a hive of activity.
Have a look at the map below, click on the ‘drawing pins’ to see what they identify – keep zooming out for more info! We have only put down a few of the “things to do by location” and will continue to add to it. If we have missed something obvious then please get in touch and we’ll add it in!
View Perfect Algarve in a larger map